Thursday 20 June 2013

Vilcabamba

Vilcabamba was not on my list of places to visit. Actually I don't have one. But if I did, it wouldn't have been on it for the simple reason that I have barely heard of it, let alone knew anything about it. But as soon as I mentioned to an Ecuadorian friend that I might be going there to cross the border, he told me to make sure I talk to the "viejitos longevos" - older, long-living people, in this case over 100 years old.. Apparently Vilcabamba is up there at the top of the list of "blue zones" - places where people live longer, healthier lives. This longevity has been attributed in Vilcabamba to the mineral water, but although studies have been carried out, no-one knows the exact reason. Answers put forward have been eating less, more healthily, leading energetic lives, and feeling positive about growing old. This seems kind of obvious though. Full of hope, I decided to make it my business to find out. In 24 hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment