Tuesday 11 June 2013

Riobamba to Achupallas

My guide, Sergio, dropped me off at Riobamba to get the bus to Alausi. Nothing much to say about Riobamba, just a convenient place to catch the bus. It cost 2 dollars for a two hour bus ride - incredible if you compare it to the equivalent of 3.5 dollars in Geneva to go four stops on the bus. I got off at Alausi, where I thought the hostel was, and asked a taxi driver for directions. He told me the hostel I was looking for was in Achupallas 25 kilometres up a windy mountain road. Distrusting tourist that I am, I confidently assured him that no, this hostel is definitely in Alausi. Soon, other taxi drivers became interested, had a massive conflab about it right there on the pavement and insisted that the first guy was right. So, still on the defensive, I went off to phone the lady from the hostel (Inés). Who of course didn't answer. As seems to happen so often in Ecuador, suddenly Ines' cousin turned up out of the blue, driving a truck taking passengers to Achupallas. The ring leader of the taxi drivers' circle assured me this man would take me directly to the hostel and I gave in. Achupallas was indeed up a 25 km windy mountain road. There were also about 10 landslides along the way, with debris scattered over the road, and the driver of the truck seemed to enjoy speeding up at the bends. Not content with that, he got his mobile out and started checking his text messages. Then he began a conversation about my monthly salary, the price of a ticket from Europe to Ecuador and other financial matters. The scenery was beautiful (I think) but my hands were gripped to the seat and I was worried that getting my camera out would trigger a conversation about the price of the camera, so unfortunately I have no photos to show for this. The driver did, however, drop me right outside the hostel, which was indeed in Achupallas, Inés was there, and I gratefully sat down to a plate of tortilla and rice with a tomate de árbol (tamarillo or tree tomato) juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment