Thursday 20 June 2013

Chakras and the secret to long life

I got up early on Sunday and went for a run. Which was idyllic until the crazy dogs started barking again. If you're not a big fan of dogs bearing their teeth and growling, it's very difficult to go running in Ecuador  because there are so many dogs protecting their owners' property or just wanting to scare the wits out of you. After my run, I had my reiki session. I was really looking forward to this. One of the girls yesterday had said it was so powerful it had made her cry. So I went with a huge amount of anticipation. I lay on the table and waited for something miraculous to happen. And I felt... nothing. Zero. The only reason I might have started crying would have been because I had just wasted 16 dollars on this. But I wasn't about to give up yet on my mission. I had a few hours left between now and my departure.

It seems though, that I had set myself an impossible task. I have met some lovely people here, been totally enraptured with my surroundings, tried reiki, fought off angry dogs, was even invited to a children's party. But that was at the opposite end of the spectrum. I haven't seen that many old people to be honest, and even if I had, feeling sensitive about age myself at the moment as I frequent all these 20-something's backpacking around South America, it somehow didn't feel entirely appropriate to approach people and ask them how they got so old. Maybe it just wasn't the right moment, the roads were blocked, my chakras were apparently non-existent, and the dogs were snappy. I guess everything isn't always perfect even in paradise. I decided to leave the secret to growing old with the people of Vilcabamba. So I left, having failed to unlock the secret of longevity, but perhaps I took with me a little bit of the magic of the place. And maybe that's what counts after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment