Thursday 13 June 2013

Cuenca

I got off the bus in Cuenca, went straight to the hostel and bumped into Ayngelina who I met in Puerto Ayora. We went out for a drink. And were promptly told that, in Ecuador, on a Sunday, they don't serve alcohol after 4 o'clock. This was news to me, and not welcome news! I'm sure it's not the case on the Galápagos Islands. Maybe it's the island vibe.

So I had to wait a bit longer for my, by this time, very well-earned drink. And it hasn't stopped raining. On Monday, I had a breakfast of fried fish and rice at the market and went to three museums, yes three. The Panama hat museum, the museum of medicine (in the hospital), and the museum of aboriginal cultures. Out of the three, the Panama hat museum was by far my favourite. It's much more vibrant than the other two, they give you a guided tour, and you can see the old machines used to shape the hats, which are still in use. And also it's the only one thats's free. Although it's the only one that shouldn't be. I watched Ecuador draw with Argentina in the World Cup qualifiers. I want to a Columbian restaurant and drank the best coffee of my life. And I ate guinea pig (cuy). Which I won't be doing again any time in the near future.

I have to say that, in spite of everyone raving about Cuenca, Ecuadorians and foreigners alike, I'm not that keen on this city. Maybe it's the weather. Or the fact that they wouldn't serve me a beer on Sunday. But I have had a relaxing few days here. Cuenca is Ecuador's third largest city and the capital of the Azuay province, and its centre is listed as a UNESCO world heritage trust site because of its many historical and colonial buildings. I would highly recommend the hostel I stayed in: "La Casa Cuencana". It's close to the centre, everything you could possibly need is close by, it's cheap and has hot water and a kitchen.

On Friday I'm heading down to Vilcabamba for a day or so before crossing the border into Peru.

the food market

my breakfast

Panama hat museum

Made in Ecuador!





museum of medicine
birthing chair - no comment
tooth out anyone?
old models of a bain-marie

Ecuadorian Olympic champion



Cuy - also known as guinea pig

watch out for the claws









No comments:

Post a Comment