Thursday 27 June 2013

Hasta la próxima Ecuador...

I left Ecuador in the middle of the night with new friends, some interesting experiences and memories that I will have for life. We arrived back in Loja just in time to get the last three seats on the bus. The bus left at 11 pm and we got to the border at Macará around 3 am. It dropped us off on the Ecuadorian side where we were stamped out. We crossed the bridge on foot, were stamped into Peru on the other side and got back on the bus again. And that was it. Ours was the only bus there. Three hours later we arrived in the town of Piura in Peru and my first impressions were not what I expected. Although I'm not sure now what I expected. Or even whether I had thought about it. But two things struck me instantly: the dust, the Peruvian equivalent of tuk-tuks and the crazy hustle and bustle and beeping from all sides made Peru seem far less developed than Ecuador, and yet the Peruvian bus system seemed to be streets ahead of the Ecuadorian one in terms of organisation and security. We stayed in Piura as long as it took to cross the road and get tickets for the next bus that left in 40 minutes.

Loja bus station




If you have a sweet tooth you're in luck. You can buy all sorts of sweet things for the bus ride in Ecuadorian bus stations.



 
the last seats on the bus


bridge across the border


Piura

The following photos were all taken from the bus from Piura to the next town of note down the coast, Chiclayo.













No comments:

Post a Comment