Thursday 20 June 2013

Cuenca to Vilcabamba

I went to sit in my seat overlooking the luggage hold as usual when I discovered that I had a seat number for this journey. And not any seat number. I had a front row seat for the crazy 5-hour bus journey ahead of me. Knowing, and having experienced, the reputation of Ecuadorian bus drivers, I wasn't sure whether this was going to be a once in a life opportunity or the roller coaster ride from hell. Especially when I saw the big sign above my head: keep within the speed limits or you may end up in prison! Surely this should be where the driver can see it?! But it turned out to be one of the smoothest bus rides ever despite being 5 hours all along windy mountain roads. It was also pretty spectacular. And that was only the first part. I had to change in Loja to get a bus to take me to Vilcabamba. Another 1.5 hours. This one was packed but it was well worth the 1 dollar 30 I paid for it. The scenery took my breath away - I had no idea. I got to the hostel where I was staying and felt like I had arrived in paradise.


                    
                I don't know about Brazil, but I heard that the bus drivers are mad in Ecuador!

                   
          Warning behind the bus driver. Hopefully he also has eyes in the back of his head.


View from the bus

This bus driver was not mad.

small landslide - a regular occurrence

arrival at Loja

lady selling empanadas

a taster of the scenery from the bus



No comments:

Post a Comment