Sunday 2 June 2013

Quito, Avanti, and the Avenue of Volcanoes

While I was here in Quito, I met up with Carla, who I met on the tour de bahia on the Galapagos islands. We went to a stunning viewpoint (a bar I have to admit) and drank canelazo, a hot alcoholic drink which was great for the rainy evening in Quito. Carla works for an Ecuadorian NGO called Avanti that focuses on implementing projects in isolated communities living in extreme poverty. Please take a look at the site and if you are looking for a worthwhile cause to donate to, this is definitely a good one.

Quito lies towards the top of the "Avenue of volcanoes" which is a 325 km long corridor running between two of the Andes' largest ranges and containing many volcanoes just waiting to be climbed. Which is what I'm going to do next. I'm leaving in about half an hour and heading South towards Ilinizas. Ilinizas is an ancient volcano that split into 2 separate peaks over 5000 years ago and I'm going to attempt the Northern peak. Please keep your fingers crossed for good weather!








Parque El Ejido

No comments:

Post a Comment