Thursday 20 June 2013

The alternative Ecuador-Peru border crossing

I came here to Vilcabamba to cross the border less travelled. I met a couple in Cuenca who told me about this route from Vilcabamba to Chachapoyas via the border at La Balsa and it sounded much more interesting than the route most people take on the night bus. Lots of beautiful scenery, little villages and less tourists. Perfect. Until I got up the morning after I arrived in paradise and the hostel owner showed me the article in the newspaper. The roads had been closed because of landslides and there was a fuel shortage. So that put an end to my grand plans. I could either wait around for days, but then still risk being hit by a landslide or stuck on a bus for hours in front of a landslide, or I could take the normal night bus close to the coast. So I swallowed my disappointment and opted for the night bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment