Thursday 27 June 2013

Chiclayo, the city of friendship

I had no intention whatsoever of going to Chiclayo. Firstly, because it´s close to the coast and I wanted to stay in the mountains, and secondly because I had heard that it wasn´t particularly interesting and not the safest of towns. But my rerouted border crossing and the fact that I didn´t want to spend another ten hours on the bus straightaway meant that I didn´t have too much choice. So I hit Chiclayo with my two new travel mates and I threatened to leave within a few hours on the next night bus. The constant sound of horns beeping was driving me insane and I was desperate to get to the quiet town of Chachapoyas which would have been my end destination had I been able to cross the border the other way. But one of the best things about travelling alone is the people you meet - I had found two great travel companions in Rita and Max and I was inclined to just go with the flow. I decided to give Chiclayo the benefit of the doubt. We ate ceviche, wandered the streets and explored the market, which apparently is one of the most spectacular markets in Peru and even contains a witchcraft section. And I ended up growing quite fond of this town in 24 hours. We didn´t see a single other tourist there, people were friendly, the food was good, and we had a great night out on a Monday evening! "La ciudad de la amistad" (the city of friendship) as I ironically found out it is called despite my misgivings, has grown from a small rural community founded by Spanish missionaries in the 16th century into a flourishing town, and the surrounding area has some fascinating history.



 


eating ceviche

La Plaza de Armas










entrance to witchcraft section















Premium, the best club in town

2 comments:

  1. I love how the fruit is stacked- That must have taken time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - doesn't it give you a sudden urge to knock it all down?!

    ReplyDelete