Tuesday 21 May 2013

Tortuga bay

Today, I got up really early and went to Tortuga bay. I love this beach at 7 in the morning when it is completely empty. It's walking distance from Puerto Ayora but once you get to the entrance, you have to walk 2.5 kilometers along a stone path through vast vegetation filled with Galapagos giant cacti (opuntia), other interesting plants, and the odd finch. You arrive at the largest of two beaches where people go to surf and turtles nest. Further down, this beach teems with marine iguanas and you can always find the odd one swimming in the small lagoon at the end of the beach. Today I found a shark though. I'd rather have found an iguana. Then you turn the corner and come across the most tranquil and beautiful beach you have ever seen (in my opinion and early in the morning before it becomes swamped with tourists). There is often a lone ray swimming about and blue-footed boobies and pelicans share this spot too. A friend of mine, Sandro, rents kayaks at the end of this beach to explore the area around the mangroves and rocks on the other side. I took one out today, and besides burning myself to a crisp, saw some turtles and some huge sharks (well at least two metres long I'm sure). I was glad to be in my kayak and not the guy snorkelling out to the middle...





























No comments:

Post a Comment