Monday 8 July 2013

Celendin to Cajamarca

I don't normally get the chance to do this but I wrote my last post almost straight after the bus ride, and if I'm honest I was feeling pretty smug and pleased with myself for having taken this route, survived the vertigo, and got away with it.

The next part of the bus journey wiped the smile off my face. Ten minutes out of Celendín, now in the dark, the bus ground to a halt and all the men were asked to get off the bus to reduce the weight, and therefore the danger, on a really narrow part of the road. Was this some kind of twisted Peruvian logic?! Isn't it women and children first?! It's all very well weighing less but I would have been much happier standing outside the bus on ground "afirmado" if there was any risk whatsoever of the bus toppling over the edge! But I lived to tell the tale and vowed never to travel on these kind of roads again. There's no need to push it. I spent the rest of the bumpy two hours to Cajamarca gripped to my seat, and wished the old man with the oranges was still sitting in front of me. For some reason, it was a comforting thought. Eventually, after what seemed like another 8 hours, somehow we made it. I leapt out of the bus onto the dark, noisy streets of Cajamarca and went off to find my hostel and some safe, firmer than firm, ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment