Monday 8 July 2013

Gran Vilaya - day 3

On day three, we walked from dawn till dusk. Many people do this day on horseback and in retrospect I can kind of understand why. But I didn't want to do it on horseback and I think the guide was making me pay - for that amongst other things. He strode off far ahead and seemed intent on losing me. At one point where the path forked, I was in the middle of the jungle by myself and he was nowhere to be seen. Fortunately I chose the right path but I was getting angrier by the minute, and at that point I would have loved to have had a few trout to throw at him.

We arrived at the village just before nightfall, having walked 30 kms and climbed 1800 metres. To add insult to injury, during the day I had started to feel a bit fluish, and the guide suggested drinking (of course) chuchuhuasi with caña. He said it cures everything and cleans the blood (replaces the blood with alcohol more like). This plant is from the jungle, however, and joking aside, is said to have medicinal properties. I was ready to try anything. And after another delicious meal of trout followed by a jug of chuchuhuasi and caña, I went to sleep waiting for the Chuchuhuasi to work its magic.

breakfast


plantain and yucca plants

sugar cane










wall hidden by moss

cooking rock

entrance to house









snake!

four-leafed clover












view of Kuelap from afar
me and my magic potion

No comments:

Post a Comment