Saturday 6 July 2013

Catarata de Gocta

I was up early the following day to go to the Gocta waterfall. If I'm honest, I don't really understand the excitement about waterfalls but the hike that I had planned was pushed back a day so I went. I ended up having a great day hiking in the jungle and chatting with a young Peruvian couple from Lima, and I started to realise that there are tourists here only they're mostly Peruvian. I have to admit to hardly knowing anything about Peru before I came here and this couple gave me some interesting insights into the development of the country over the past few years, not to mention a list of food that I should eat while I'm here, particularly in Lima. Something that strikes me so far, in my relatively short experience, is that Peruvians seem to be proud of their country in spite of the various problems and this is a refreshing change from all the complaining that goes on in Europe.

As far as the waterfall goes, they can certainly be proud of this, as it has been classed, at 771 metres high, among the highest waterfalls in the world, and the waterfall itself is really not bad at all. This is actually a relatively recent classification, as people only really began to take notice of this region from around 2005. To my mind though, the most interesting part is the two hour walk through cloud forest and tropical forest to get there. I hadn't realised how close I was to the jungle and I was told that if I was lucky I would see a yellow-tailed woolly monkey or a spectacled bear. I didn't see either but I did see a tarantula and that's good enough for me!

on the way


Catarata de Gocta

Me in my welly boots

baby tarantula





I wore the welly boots but I drew the line at the green cape. I was wrong. Rain is unpredictable in a rainforest. Or rather highly predictable.



Avid global waterfall followers. I think they got the wrong country.


Drops that fall accept their destiny, the ones that bounce try to change it.








No comments:

Post a Comment